Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: dash board veneer

Stag mk2 manual overdrive harrow middlesex, , United Kingdom

dash board veneer

what do you put on the wood veneer for the dash board is it varnish

Dave

Dave
    Are you trying to restore it or just protect it?
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Westfaling View Post
    Dave
    Are you trying to restore it or just protect it?
    Nick
    nick

im trying to restore the dash

dave

Hi Dave

This is worth a read.

http://www.frost.co.uk/how_do_i_explained.asp?hdID=23

Cheers
    Steve

doing mine at the mo...

used a heat gun and paper scraper to gently melt the old plastic coating off the dash. Then using very fine sandpaper cleaned up the wood veneer. no cracks in the veneer yippee and it looks like this...

10042011511.jpg

Next I bought rustins clear plastic coat. it is a 2 pack solution. mix 4 parts plastic coat to one part hardener and brush it on real thin. an hour between coats and get at least 5 coats on. then 24 hours after 5th coat wet and dry it back gently using 1200grade. then another 5 coats and wet and dry again after 24 hours. after this should need just a couple of coats to look factory fresh.

This stuff honks and is probably not good to breathe so I am doing mine in the open air and storing it all in the shed.

This is after the first 3 coats
    10042011518.jpg

I got the rustins mail order from - http://www.axminster.co.uk/rustins-c...ing-prod23018/

I bought a litre and am over half way through it.

Mix it up in an old jam jar, leave the brush in the solution and cover it up with cling film when you are not painting, this lasted 4 days for me so far

So far I am very happy indeed with the finish. I'll post pics of it finished hopefully tomorrow

p.s. because this is a 2pack solution it is essential that all wax, varnish and other nasties are removed from the veneer before painting. Rustins product came with instructions on this. My centre console radio surround had been varnished before and even though I was very thorough removing the varnish it has still coloured more dark than the rest of the dash which is all the same colour... I was also pleased to find that the glovebox lid and each piece either side are all from the same set..
    Last edited by richardthestag; 16th April 2011 at 20:06.
    Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

Quote Originally Posted by richardthestag View Post
    doing mine at the mo...

used a heat gun and paper scraper to gently melt the old plastic coating off the dash. Then using very fine sandpaper cleaned up the wood veneer. no cracks in the veneer yippee and it looks like this...

10042011511.jpg

Next I bought rustins clear plastic coat. it is a 2 pack solution. mix 4 parts plastic coat to one part hardener and brush it on real thin. an hour between coats and get at least 5 coats on. then 24 hours after 5th coat wet and dry it back gently using 1200grade. then another 5 coats and wet and dry again after 24 hours. after this should need just a couple of coats to look factory fresh.

This stuff honks and is probably not good to breathe so I am doing mine in the open air and storing it all in the shed.

This is after the first 3 coats
    10042011518.jpg

I got the rustins mail order from - http://www.axminster.co.uk/rustins-c...ing-prod23018/

I bought a litre and am over half way through it.

Mix it up in an old jam jar, leave the brush in the solution and cover it up with cling film when you are not painting, this lasted 4 days for me so far

So far I am very happy indeed with the finish. I'll post pics of it finished hopefully tomorrow

p.s. because this is a 2pack solution it is essential that all wax, varnish and other nasties are removed from the veneer before painting. Rustins product came with instructions on this. My centre console radio surround had been varnished before and even though I was very thorough removing the varnish it has still coloured more dark than the rest of the dash which is all the same colour... I was also pleased to find that the glovebox lid and each piece either side are all from the same set..
    thanks richard and steve

i was going to use yacht varnish, but i will now do the same as you richard

Dave

latest update. all coating now on, quick and very light rub down with 1200grade wet and dry and then polish with t-cut and it looks like this.....

fitting up

Stags and Range Rover Classics - I must be a loony

SOC Member and Moderator piscean57's Avatar
    That looks really good Richard.

No offense to anyome who puts walnut on, but I think that what you have there looks the business

Devon; Mk1.5, Auto, TV8, , United Kingdom
    Quote Originally Posted by piscean57 View Post
    That looks really good Richard.

No offense to anyome who puts walnut on, but I think that what you have there looks the business
    Ah! But it IS walnut. Triumph used American Black Walnut for the veneer. Unfortunately, in every Triumph on the road this has now faded/bleached to the orangey colour we are all familiar with. Occasionally NOS dashboard timber panels come up for sale and they are considerably darker than what we are used to.

http://www.woodveneeruk.co.uk/search.php and enter American Walnut
    Dave
    1974 Mk2, Carmine, ZF 4HP22 Auto, 3.45 Diff, Datsun Driveshafts.

SOC Member and Moderator piscean57's Avatar
    Ahh...well yes I am corrected Dave!

I should have said burr walnut.

I have never really known what the wood was. When I first had my TR5 it was about 20 years old and the wood was broadly similar in colour to my Stag is currently.