Thread: Rust prevention after drilling

Rust prevention after drilling

After much searching I have finally found the right stag. A 1976 in Mimosa yellow that has been very well restored over a number of years. Picked her up on Sunday and have set about the final finishing that the PO hadnt completed. Next job is to refit the stainless sill trim and kicker plates. After I have got brave and drilled the holes, what is the recommendation for rust prevention / treatment for the freshly drilled holes? Really dont want a problem with the new sills and fresh paint in a few years!

Thanks in advance for your assistance and sorry if it has been covered already.

Mark.

Pleased to hear you've got your right Stag

Personally I paint new holes with Bilt Hamber's Electrox - there is so much zinc in it that the tin weighs a ton and it seems really effective, then spray area with their Dynax S50.

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions though.

Cheers

Julian

Hi Mark, welcome to the asylum. If you're putting screws into steel, there's little you can do to protect the metal, except, as Julian says, use a superior quality wax like Dynax S50. If you're fitting the overall sill covers, soak the sills inside and out with it, messy, but easy enough to clean off the excess, Hope you enjoy the old girl, they make a wonderful friend. Martin.

Upminster, White 1975 TV8 Man O/D, , United Kingdom
    Another vote for dynax. I am using a little of their hydrate 80 in holes as it cures on clean or rusty steel and seems to grip the metal really well, then a little dynax to seal it all up afterwards. i used the zinc primer on the replaced lower rad support panel and on all the arches. They say if you rub the primer gently with wire wool it shines up like zinc plating, so i tried it and it did!

I vote for Dynax - used it plenty on the Defender. Need to get some inside the Stag though. The spray on stuff (S50?) not so good on exposed areas as it does wash off but brilliant on internals.

Hadn't thought on polishing the zinc stuff - I'll try that. When the tin's as heavy as it is you know it must be full of goodness. I've heard they use it to paint oil rigs! But getting a polished finish - I'll try.

Hadn't come across the curing stuff though. I'll get some ordered. Sounds like a best plan for the original post. Always so annoying to drill a hole and make a new home for the tin worm.

Chris

The 'curing stuff' - Hydrate 80 - is brilliant cos, as Ian says, it cures on both clean and rusty steel. It's great for using on all those areas where corrosion blends into good steel.

However, where you've got clean, fresh steel, as when you've just drilled a new hole, I would have thought that the zinc based electrox would be much better.

I stand to be corrected, but that's worked well for me, as a big fan (and big user) of all Bilt Hamber products

Cheers

Julian

Many thanks for all the advise. Building up the courage to get started with the drill!

Mark